Using the EPC21601, if the duty ratio is 0.1% and pulse on-time is 5ns, is it possible to drive the VCSEL with a current higher than the peak current?

Using the EPC21601, if the duty ratio is 0.1% and pulse on-time is 5~10ns, is it possible to drive the VCSEL with a current, say 40A or 80A?

The manual book states the situation of 15 A peak current with a 50 MHz clk. And I wonder that, given the same on-time(10 ns) with a much longer off-time and the duty-ratio is 0.1%, can this IC endure a current of several tens of ampere?

Besides may I ask that, if the answer is no, is the issue mainly about thermal or electrical breakdown? And is it possible to analyze the issue from the manual book?

Thanks a lot for your time, I would appreciate any response!

Hello,
the EPC21601 is rated at 15A peak current, so regardless of duty cycle that is the maximum that the device can reliably carry. There might be some conditions, and some devices, that can do a little better, but that is the guaranteed number. This is an electrical rating, so you will also need to make sure that the temperature stays within Tjmax, and that’s where the duty-cycle considerations will have an impact…

1 Like